£800k for national loans to local museums
Local and regional museums will be able to borrow treasures from the national collections thanks to a three year grant scheme with £810,000 by the Garfield Weston Foundation and the Art Fund.
It is a continuation of the initiative started three years ago with a £750,000 which saw local museum visitor numbers rise by 40%. The money is used to fund borrowing grants, project management, training and evaluation. Through the scheme, works by painters such as Rembrandt and Stubbs and treasures including the 12th-century Becket Casket have been loaned to local museums. In the near future, works by such artists as Walter Sickert, Peter Paul Rubens, Eric Ravilious, William Hogarth, Patrick Caulfield, Charles Pears and Laura Knight wil be seen in local venues.
In the latest funding decisions in the scheme, 13 museums across England, Scotland and Wales have benefitted from grants totalling £196,000 for treasures that will go on show from 2020 onwards.
- Yorkshire Museum and Gardens, York, Yorkshire (£17,625) Support towards Richard III: Coming Home. Includes loans from the National Portrait Gallery.
- Doncaster's Culture and Learning Centre, Doncaster, Yorkshire (£8,539) Support towards Heritage Doncaster, Double Take. Includes loans from the Arts Council Collection.
- Kirkleatham Museum, Redcar, Yorkshire (£25,000) Support towards Nordic by Nature. Includes loans from the British Museum.
- Pontefract Museum, Pontefract, Yorkshire (£7,700) Support towards Bracing Air, Abundant Amusements: The Travel Posters of Charles Pears. Includes loans from the National Railway Museum and V&A.
- Pitzhanger Manor and Gallery, Ealing, London (£5,000) Support towards A Rake's Progress and Modern Life. Includes a loan from Sir John Soane’s Museum.
- The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh, Brecon, Wales (£5,776) Support towards The Regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh. Includes a loan from the British Library.
- Oriel Ynys Mon, Llangefni, Wales (£10,746) Support towards William Roos: Portrait of a Welsh Artist. Includes loans from Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales and the National Library of Wales.
- Elgin Museum, Elgin, Scotland (£23,270) Support towards Elgin Museum, At the Water's Edge. Includes a loan from National Museums Scotland.
- Wiltshire Museum, Devizes, SW England (£24,950) (pictured) Support towards Eric Ravilious: Downland Man. Includes loans from V&A, British Museum, Imperial War Museum, Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales and Tate.
- Penlee House Gallery and Museum, Penzance, SW England (£9,270) Support towards Laura Knight exhibition. Includes a loan from Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales.
- Reading Museum jointly with University of Reading, SE England (£17,900) Support towards Rubens to Sickert: The Study of Drawing. Includes loans from the British Museum and Arts Council Collection.
- Hastings Museum and Art Gallery, Hastings, SE England (£25,000) Support towards Coming up to Standard. Includes a loan from the British Museum.
- Hereford Cider Museum, Hereford, W Midlands (£15,583) Support towards Victoria: the Age of the Apple. Includes a loan from Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.
Patrick Kelly's TAITMAIL Council cash crisis? Flog the art https://www.artsindustry.co.uk/feature/1837-taitmail-council-cash-crisis-flog-the-art